11.01.2004

Inspiration

sound : TOOL - prison sex

heres a small piece off an interview with adam from tool….. for the full article click here

Publication: Guitar One

Date: January, 2002
page: 84

title: Images and Words

author: Bob Gulla

BG: Do you ever feel inadequate as a player?


AJ: Yeah, absolutely. I am not a technical guy. I mean, you see these guys from GIT, or wherever, and they know 50 different chord progressions in C(min)maj7. I’m not there. I like Frank Zappa, and Ry Cooder and Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix and all those guys, but after a while the lead guitar thing started boring me. So I never really went there, and it wasn’t important to me to practice scales. So in that respect, I feel really inadequate. If there’s some really good guitarist in the audience, and I know he’s watching me, I just go, “God, he must think I suck!” I play from my gut, and play as passionately as I can, but I’m not a very good guitar player, comparatively. I’m really just into what we do, and I love writing riffs, and I love challenging myself to play in a different time than Danny’s playing on drums, and trying to figure out something over the top of it that sounds really cool. But as far as being able to fluidly solo over something, I’m not into it. That’s why on some solos I’ll pick up an Epilady, one of those things ladies use to rip out their hair. It has this revolving, figure8, guitar-like string one it; I keep my on it to stop the motor, and it goes, “rrrrr,” and then I can let it go “reeeh” [gradually increases pitch]. Using delay, and other kinds of effects, it can be really powerful.


BG: What gave you the Epilady idea?


AJ: To be honest, I saw Dave Navarro do a solo with a vibrator once, and it was kind of cool. I didn’t have a vibrator around – I’m sure Dave has several! Just kidding. [laughs]. But I started putting electrical things up to the guitar and getting really cool results. I got one of those old hand massagers, and I could hold the motor and control it. Buzz from the Melvins showed me you could take a remote from your TV, hold it to your pickup, and make your guitar go “beep, boop, beep” – you get different tone right from the pickup. Then you put some flange and delay on, and it sounds great.


peacerespectempathy

No comments: