12.19.2004

He stared at me.

sound : John Debney - Flaggelation/Dark Choir/Disciples



i must have been seven or eight... seven actually, because my brother wasn't born yet... i used to sleep alone in my room... i used to say my prayers every night... the key word here is "say"... i never really knew (i still dont know) how to pray... i just used to recite the prayers that were taught to me by my parents... the "Our Father", the "Hail Mary", the "Glory Be" and stuff... i used to think of heaven as a place filled with trees that sprouted chocolates and candy... there were cartoon characters everywhere and my grandma would give me 'Appy again... but there was one flaw....



i had a picture of jesus hung up in my room... mama told me that it would protect me from monsters and bad guys... even shredder... but the problem is that i never used to like the picture.... jesus' eyes were so well drawn that they used to follow me wherever i went in the room... it felt like i had no privacy in there... anywhere i go... i move to the right, he's staring at me... i move to the left, he's staring at me.... everywhere i went he stared at me... i used to lie awake in bed for hours thinking that i had done something wrong... in my childish mind i was unable to realize that it was just an optical illusion that caused jesus to stare at me like that... all i knew was that i was guilty of some sin that i must have done unknowingly... i believe that that picture is the root of all of my anti-establishmentarian feelings... that picture of jesus staring at me like a pedophile screwed my religiousness forever... i remember telling people that there was no god in the sixth grade.... i never believed in god... come to think of it... this is it... having a guy stare at you while you perform you day to day activitie is not too good for you psychologiocally or religiously.... i guess im permanently scarred because of staring-jesus.....



i never believed in god as a kid... i knew my parents were santa, but i believed in santa... santa brought me hope... santa never stared at me...



i believe in santa



peacerespectempathy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello

firstly had a picture of jesus hung up in my room... mama told me that it would protect me from monsters and bad guys... even shredder thats ruddy hilarious.

maybe now you will see the value of throwing a sheet over scary pictures, as i did as a child.

Although blaming your lack of faith on something such as a picture is slightly cop out ish, non? at least be honest and just say youre an atheist or agnostic or you just couldn;t give a crap

peace and merry christmas (not too merry if yo are driving)

Sarah

Anonymous said...

haha.. that was the funniest thing i read today....

Anonymous said...

i understand u not believing in d existence of God coz even i never did....but the way i came to believe that God was for real was amazing....................

but really to stop believing in God just becoz his eyes followed u....i mean tat was wierd.....

even i had a pic of God in ma room wen i was small....but then wat the hell....i never paid ne attention 2 it....it was just another pic of some man i hardly knew............