1.13.2009

Making a White Russian



a.k.a. The Caucasian, The Silky Milky or "What The Dude Drinks!"

A well made White Russian is by far my favorite drink in the world the problem is that most places make horrid tasting White Russians. Agreed, I first drank one after watching "The Big Lebowski", but over the years I believe that I have cultured a taste for the little bastards.

Ingredients:
  • Vodka (preferably Svedka Vanilla Vodka, Absolut Vanilla Vodka or Belvedere Polish Vodka)
  • Kahlua or Coffee Liquor (try Godiva Coffee Liquor or Patron Coffee Liqueur XO)
  • Cream (preferably half and half or you can substitute Bailey's Irish Cream instead of milk for a much stronger drink)
Preparation:

Take a chilled glass (it is important that the glass be cold for a perfect White Russian) and throw some ice in, then pour the vodka in (I'll make a note on the ratios in a bit), add the coffee liquor and finally cream or Baileys. Now shake. DO NOT STIR!

Note: when I say "parts" I'm talking shots. You dig?

Now about the ratios; a traditional White Russian is one part vodka, one part Kahlua and one part cream. But, lightweights usually prefer a little more cream (one part vodka, one part Kahlua and three parts cream). Then there are the rest of us who want to go all out, if you are a vodka connoisseur you could go two parts vodka, one part Kahlua and one part cream. The problem with that is that some people claim that the taste of vodka overwhelms the drink, now my solution to that is by getting the biggest, tallest damn glass around (like a lemonade glass) and pouring in two parts vodka, one part Kahlua and three parts cream, this ensures that the drink is still a White Russian and that it packs more of a punch.

My favorite? Two parts vodka, two parts Kahlua and two parts cream. tastes like heaven.

Now that you've made the drink you could decorate it by throwing some chocolate flakes over it or (if you've got a brave palate) some mint leaves. Disgusting you say, I fear not.

There you have it ladies and germs, my guide on making White Russians.

Now go little grasshopper, mix a drink, sip and be merry.

1 comment:

Ajnu said...

“I'm the DOOD, you're Mister Lebowski..”

I must try this the next time I am home... sounds mm delicious!